Monday, November 22, 2010

To Reunion or Not to Reunion

10 years ago I proudly wore my navy cap and gown and received my diploma from Newport Harbor High School. What great memories! 
During the first couple years of college, my group of friends tried to stay in touch. We visited one another at our universities and partied together for the annual Jimmy Buffett concert at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater. Some of the girls and guys kept in closer contact than others, and I really didn't hold onto too many relationships. I embraced my new college friends and quickly started working and enjoyed spending time with people around the office. I guess by year 5 out of high school I had lost touch with the majority of my fellow Sailor alumni. In the last year I have reconnected with a good number of people through Facebook. It is fun to see pictures of babies, boyfriends and some of the unbelievable things that people have experienced since high school. 
My question about the upcoming reunion is this...Do I need/want to get back in touch with everybody from my graduating class? I feel like it is going to be a whole lot of fake smiles, "how are you?"s and "let's get together"s. C'mon...we probably lost touch for a reason and we both know we won't really get together. 
How horrible is this!?! I sound like such a scrooge and I'm typically the positive type. I guess Ben has swayed my decision a bit. He makes fun of people that go to high school reunions  and generally doesn't like doing social things very much. (We'd spend every night on the couch playing video games and drinking beer, if he had his choice. LOL. Such a guy.) His line of work doesn't require him to do much networking. Mine does...I guess that is my answer. For work alone, I should go to my reunion. I know, I know...
So the real question is if I decide to go, how can I convince Ben to go. More importantly how can I get him to enjoy the evening?!? Hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment