Thursday, November 25, 2010

Season for Giving

Liz Smith and I with Michaela Periera, KTLA
news anchor, and Nia Long
Yesterday I was lucky enough to share a heart-warming experience with my mom and dear friends, the Smith family. Herb is not only the patriarch of the Smith clan but the president of the Los Angeles Mission. With Herb's wife, mother and daughter, my mom and I drove up to Skid Row to work with a large team of volunteers serving Thanksgiving dinners to those less fortunate than ourselves. 

Before you sigh and give me credit for being such a philanthropic young woman, I have to give you some more details. As I was expecting to suit up with latex gloves and a hair net before dishing up green beans and mash potatoes in the buffet line, Liz (Herb's daughter) handed me a list of celebrities that we were going to be "in charge" of. Yep! I got to work with the Smith family and coordinate the special guests. 

Sarah Drew from Grey's Anatomy
My mom with Ally Walker
from Sons of Anarchy

On every traditional holiday, the LA Mission gathers some wonderful local talent to serve some of the less fortunate residents of the county. On an annual basis the Mission provides nearly 600,000 hot meals. They also give over 210,000 articles of clean clothing and more than 130,000 nights of safe lodging. In addition to the celebrities that volunteer their time, the Mission gathers more than 6,000 people throughout the year to donate over 23,000 hours of community service. 
Kathy Smith with
Brandon Molale
The Mission extends its welcome to anyone that wants to serve. Please click here if you are interested in getting involved in their inspiring endeavors. If you are so inclined to make a monetary donation instead, please click here

Liz Smith with Chad Rogers from Bravo TV's
Million Dollar Listing and Greek cast mates
Andrew West and Amber Stevens
With Blair Underwood

No comments:

Post a Comment